Thursday, January 31, 2008

Alta Bates: Birthing Center


Tim and I went to the birthing center at Alta Bates. There were a lot of pregnant ladies on the tour most of them very large. Our guide was a nurse that had worked in the birthing center for 20 years. The first place that we saw was the nurses station. The nurses looked fairly relaxed. I guess it was a quiet night. We next saw triage where they will check to see if I am in labor enough to be admitted into a room. It was very small. I hope I don't have to be in there for long. She next showed us the labor delivery room. Every room has a bath and shower, but some rooms have a jacuzzi. Jeri told me to ask for one of those rooms because I'm having a natural birth. The problem with these rooms is that there are no windows, and they are smaller. The room seemed pretty nice. It smelled very strongly of cleaning products, so I'm going to have to bring some smells to distract me from it. The rooms were nicely decorated, and there was a flat screen T.V. I'm glad I got to see the room, but it made me wish that I was having a home birth after all. It's really not that bad though; I've just never had to be in a hospital room before. We next looked at the nursery where the babies go if they need to be observed more. There were a couple of babies in there, and I could not take my eyes off of them. They were so new and pure. I felt a wave of euphoria. I'm not sure what happened on the rest of the tour because I starred at the babies for too long. Oh, she then took us to the recovery room which is semi-private. They were just the standard hospital rooms. Next we went up to the Newborn intensive care unit. There were a couple of preemies, and I almost had a heart attack looking at them. They were so tiny, and lonely. I'm so glad that I am past having a preemie. Well, that was about it. I pre-registered so that I wouldn't have to when I arrived.

No comments: